skip to Main Content
Back To Top
DRAFT AGENDA, COMMENTS & SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.
Day 1 – Dec 6, Afternoon
Setting the Stage
- Welcome, Introductions, and Goals for the meeting (Chris Martin)
- Review Chatham House rules and confidentiality of presentations
- Setting the Stage – The Global OIR Landscape on the ground
- The US and international landscape
- Why large telescopes are essential in the coming decades
- ESO and the European ELT project
- Why the world needs three Extremely Large Telescopes
- Vision for the US Extremely Large Telescope Program (David Silva)
- Capabilities and Status of the GMT (20 min) (Pat McCarthy)
- Capabilities and Status of the TMT (20 min) (Tom Soifer and Claire Max)
- The Key Science Program paradigm (Mark Dickinson)
- Highlights of the Key Science Program workshop
- Lessons from past decadals (Michael Moloney – via video)
- Thinking about the audience for decadals: Agencies and Congress (Jeremy Weirich -ppt & Rita Colwell – via video)
- Recap Joint Efforts
- Review agenda for Day 2 and ask for any modifications
Day 2 – Dec 7, Morning
Assessing and Managing Risks (Potential topics, others to be selected on Day 1)
- Risks to the US ELT Concept – Decadal Survey, Social, Financial, Technical
- Open discussion of risks for the two-telescope concept
- How to see our project from other peoples’ perspectives
- What are the projects missing by being too close to the problem?
- Achieving Success with Key Science Projects
- How to benefit all of astronomy
- What makes for a successful project?
- How to navigate the Decadal Survey Process and Policymakers
- Properly scoping a state-of-the-art ELT system
- Sampling the full parameter space of capabilities
- Optimizing – finding strength in two telescopes rather than one
- Ensuring early impact
- Sustaining support after the first 5-10 years
- Short answers to common questions
- Why two telescopes?
- How much will it cost?
- How will it affect my own research?
- Other topics TBD
Day 2 – Dec 7, Afternoon
- Takeaway thoughts and actions
- Reprise of the US ELT Program and two telescope projects risks
- Insights gleaned from the discussion
- Areas needing further thought and work
- Executive Session(s) [may be interspersed throughout the meeting]
- In the absence of the projects and/or funders are there topics that should be discussed?
- Next steps
- Is there any interest in reporting on the outcomes of this meeting (optional).
- Follow-up actions